Holt on Hockey

More B.S.

By Bruce Schoenfeld

When the RPI hockey team scores eight goals to whip New Hampshire and then destroys Harvard, 9-1, it's a pretty good bet that the Engineers have better personnel than either team, right?

Not so, according to UNH coach Charlie Holt, who has racked up over 300 wins in his 18 years coaching college hockey. Holt feels continuity and consistency play a greater role in ECAC hockey than variations in talent, and he blames himself for his team's subpar season last year (9-5 in defense of their '78-79 ECAC title) and lackluster (1-2) ECAC start this season.

"We kind of got off track because I was a little overwhelmed by what I thought was improved personnel," Holt says. "Actually, the players are all coming from the same place. What makes the difference is a random factor that can be something you can't even put your hand on. I don't believe any one of us should ever accept that because a team blows another team out it can't be reversed the next time."

Holt's Wildcats face the Crimson icemen (3-2) here tonight, having allowed 16 goals in their last two ECAC contests. But netminder Greg Moffett has been sharp in non-league contests (a 3-1 victory over Bowdoin last Friday and an 8-0 whitewash of USIU earlier on). And the offense, led by Andy Brickley (seven goals, nine assists for 16 points) and Frank Barth (9-7-16), can score with any team.

"I think we have some very talented young players," Holt says. "But every team has talent, and some just have more experience. Harvard, too, is young, and so is RPI. I think that you are finding each year that parity is almost universal, and what makes for a successful season is continuity."

Therefore, Holt continues, a team that has been successful with one method should, if they stick to that style of play, continue to be successful--regardless of player turnover.

"We've tended to do the same thing year in and year out. All schools do that, but the key is that if you are not successful something has to be changed. If you've had success and you change it," Holt adds, "you should have your head examined. Sometimes coaches forget it's the players' game, and we just mix things up."

* * *

Back on the home front, forwards Greg Britz (knee) and Phil Falcone (ankle) will miss tonight's game. Britz, who was felled in the Northeastern game, Nov. 25, has not played since and may be out until Christmas, although he could return as early as this weekend. Falcone limped off the ice after a crunching check during first period action at Colgate Saturday and could possibly have fractured his ankle. "It doesn't hurt but it's swollen," he said yesterday.