Sox Trade Burleson, Hobson For Lansford, Clear, Miller

The Boston Red Sox traded Rick Burleson and third baseman Clell "Butch" Hobson to the California Angels last night in exchange for infielder Carney Lansford, outfielder Rick Miller and relief pitcher Mark Clear.

Lansford, a slick-fielding third baseman, hit .264 in 86 games with California during 1980. A three-year veteran, he is 23-years old and hit for averages of .294 and .287 his first two seasons with the Angels.

Miller returns to Boston after three solid seasons in California. The 32-year-old played out his option and left the Red Sox following the 1977 season. He is considered one of the best-fielding outfielders in baseball. Clear, 24, posted an 11-11 record and 3.30 earned run average in 1980.

Burleson, the American League's All-star shortstop in 1977 and 1979, joined the Red Sox in 1974 and has been the club's regular shortstop ever since. He has a major league lifetime batting mark of .273, including an average of .293 in his best season, 1977.

Hobson belted 30 home runs and drove in 112 runs in 1977, and tallied 28 homers and 93 RBIs in 1979. He has experienced elbow problems during his baseball career and underwent surgery two years ago.

The acquisition of Miller and Lansford paves the way for more trades by the Red Sox. Boston has offered center fielder Fred Lynn to a number of clubs, including the New York Mets and Los Angeles Dodgers.

In another deal announced yesterday, Texas traded pitcher Kevin Saucier for Detroit's Mark Wagner, an infielder.