H/R Blood Drive May Set Record In Pints Donated

By David Lawrence

A record number of donors have registered to give blood in the Harvard-Radcliffe December blood drive, to be held in Memorial Hall.

Sponsors of the drive, organized by the Harvard-Radcliffe Blood Services and the Cambridge Red Cross, say that for the first time since 1956 they may collect 2000 pints of blood from Harvard students and staff. A total of 2130 undergraduates signed up to give blood, and Quincy House, with 190 donors registered--almost one-half of the House members--had the highest proportion of undergraduates pledging.

Jim Rosenfeld '81, co-chairman of the drive, said yesterday he was pleased with the number of students registered and added that he was surprised to learn how much the community depends on blood from Harvard. "The local hospitals plan their surgeries around the blood drive to insure adequate supplies for their operations," he said.

The blood drive will run until December 12, open daily from 9:45 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., except for December 10 and 11, when Memorial Hall will be open from 2 to 8 p.m.