Currier House Master Evicts Sparticists From Premises

By Eve M. Troutt

A Currier House co-Master Lenore Frazier told two members of the Spartacus Youth League to leave the House Wednesday after the League members started distributing their organization's materials during dinner.

Frazier said yesterday that her request to leave was not a "matter of ideology" but a requirement necessary for security situations at Currier House. Frazier said that Currier House would accomodate student organizations but not those from outside. The Spartacists in question are not Harvard-Radcliffe students.

When questioned by Frazier on their identity, the Spartacists presented the name of a student who was not present. Frazier told them this was not enough and the two left after a brief discussion with her. "They were lovely about it," Frazier said, "but unfortunately this is not Harvard Square."

The Spartacus Youth League is the nationwide organization to which the Harvard student group, Friends of Spartacus Youth League (FOSYL), is sympathetic.

Two weeks ago, an employee of the Freshman Union demanded a member of the FOSYL to stop passing out materials and to leave the Union.

The official took leaflets out of the hands of students who had already received them. Tom Gordon, campus representative of the FOSYL, said the forced removal indicated an unfair University practice.

Gordon said the University regulations are "unconstitutional" adding, "There are enough regulations to kick anyone out of anywhere at any time." Gordon said that the University's justification of such actions as security precautions are "nitpicking."

He said that the FOSYL tries to keep relations as good as possible between itself and the University. However, Gordon added that the university was biased, that the matter was ideological and that members of a "dance group, for example, would not be asked to leave."

Archie C. Epps III, dean of Students said yesterday the rule prohibits non-students, regardless of ideological background, from distribution of materials on campus. An official in the Dean of Students' office, who asked not to be identified, said that the University is private property and students have a right to privacy.

The University's rules allow any recognized student group to distribute material if they have cleared their organization with the dean of Students' office. The official who asked not to be identified said, "there is an interest in freedom and also an interest in order."