GUERRILLA Forces Strike Kiosks

Protest Group Sends Letter to CHUL Members

By Alan Cooperman

A new student protest group calling itself GUERRILLA-Galvanized Undergraduates for the Effective Reinforcement and Response to Ignored but Legitimate Legislative Actions-Claimed responsibility yesterday for a rash of violations of the University's new regulations on posters.

According to letters made of newspaper cut-outs which were delivered to all members of the Committee on House and Undergraduate Life (CHUL) yesterday, GUERRILLA forces have been taking posters from kiosks and hanging them on Harvard gates and buildings for several weeks.

A GUERRILLA spokesman, who asked to remain unidentified, said yesterday the group has been moving the posters "to make it more difficult for CHUL to fine students groups for breaking the postering rule because they can't be sure whether the groups themselves are responsible for the placement of their posters or whether we are."

Although CHUL has not yet fined any student organizations for violating the new rule, Archie C.Epps III, dean of students, sent letters to seven student groups last month stating that he would recommend that CHUL fine them $25 each at its meeting on December 1.

CHUL did not have time to consider the issue at that meeting, however, and the issue at that meeting,however, and the recommendation has now been "post-poned indefinitely" - although not because of the GUERRILLA action, Epps said yesterday. He refused to comment on the action specifically or to further explain the reasons for the postponement.

Benjamin H.Schatz'81, president of the Gay Students Association (GSA), one of the groups that EPPS had notified of a possible fine, said yesterday, "I never advocated that anyone in my group poster illegally."

Michael G.Colantuone '83, a student member of CHUL, said yesterday "now that GUERRILLA has taken responsibility for the violations of the kiosk rule, I don't see how CHUL can possibly fine anybody."

A second GUERRILLA spokesman, who also asked to remain unidentified, yesterday many members of the protest group "are concerned that the Committee on Rights and Responsibilities might be used to discipline them, and as a result have considered going underground."

Several Student Assembly delegates formed GUERRILLA last month to back assembly resolutions with "novel and humorous" protests. Since the assembly voted to ask the group to remain independent, however, "we are not technically working together," the spokesman added.