Student Assembly Requests Study Center Open All Night

By Alan Cooperman

The Student Assembly voted 51-1 yesterday to urge the College to provide a centrally located, 24-hour study center during reading and exam periods.

Jennifer M. Howard '84, author of the proposal, suggested Lamont Library, the Science Center, or any other building in the Yard as an adequate site.

Any Old Place

Since many students have difficulty studying in their rooms late at night because of noise, "almost any quiet room would do--it doesn't have to be a library," Howard added.

Citing an assembly poll of more than 4000 undergraduates last year, in which 65 per cent of the respondents said they favored "extended library hours," Nathan Hagen '81, an assembly delegate from Quincy House, said yesterday, "we know for sure that most students want some place to study late at night."

The assembly also voted unanimously yesterday to send a letter to the Harvard Athletic Department requesting a meeting to discuss the "somewhat chaotic situation" at the Yale game.

Carlos A. Rodriguez '82, author of the letter, said yesterday he will ask athletic department officials at the meeting to avoid overcrowding and confusion at future Yale games by providing at least four ushers per section, repainting the numbers of rows and seats at Soliders Field, and discontinuing standing-room-only tickets.

Rodriguez added that many students have complained they could not get to their seats at the Game, and that he will request "a full accounting for the problems" at this year's Game.

In other actions, the assembly voted

to request $500 from the University to pay for polling the undergraduate student body on a variety of issues next semester;

to urge the Governance Review Committee to "fully investigate existing funding sources" for the Student Assembly; and

to poll students on the idea of a $10 term-bill addition to pay for the assembly and other student organizations.