Kennedy to Deliver Speech at K-School

By Paul M. Barrett

Sen. Edward M. Kennedy '54 (D-Mass.) will make his "most important speech before the New Hampshire primary," today at 12 p.m. in the Kennedy School Forum, a top aide in Washington D.C. said last night.

Thomas P. Southwick '71, Kennedy's press secretary, said the candidate will "discuss the presidency--what the office is and what it ought to be," adding that Kennedy will also speak about the draft, foreign affairs, the state of the economy and the government's energy program.

The speech will "articulate a sharply different view of the presidency and the presidential powers than Carter's," Robert Schrum, a top Kennedy adviser, said last night when he arrived in Cambridge with other members of the Kennedy campaign staff.

Schrum said the senator will also "reflect on the results in Maine and what they mean" and emphasize the "necessity for a dialogue," specifically on events in Iran and Afghanistan, in the race for the Democratic nomination.

President Carter defeated Kennedy by 45 per cent to 39 per cent in Sunday's Maine caucuses, a result that pleased Kennedy's staff after his 2-1 loss in the January 21 Iowa caucuses. California Gov. Edmund G. Brown received 14 per cent of the caucus votes in Maine.

Jane Beal, press secretary in Kennedy's Boston campaign headquarters, said yesterday the senator will address the public for about 45 minutes in the Forum. The speech will be shown simultaneously on closed circuit television in Sanders Theater.

After he speaks, Kennedy will go directly to Sanders Theater "just to greet the students and thank them for coming out," Beal said.

The speech at the Kennedy School comes at an important time in the Kennedy campaign, as his organization trys to capitalize on what they believe is a major success in Maine before the February 26 New Hampshire primary.

Recent public opinion polls show that Carter has so far maintained his lead over Kennedy in New Hampshire.

Close Shave

However, Kennedy campaigners predict the close second-place finish in Maine will bolster the senator's chances against Carter in New Hampshire, the nation's first primary.

"We've never had a lack of volunteers, but there was a tremendous amount of enthusiasm down at the Boston offices today [because of the Maine results]," Chris J. Doherty '78, a Kennedy campaign staffer, said last night, adding, "The phones have been going crazy all day."