U.S. Icemen Place Romanians in Check, 7-2; Ingeman Stenmark Trails in Giant Slalom

The Winter Olympics

LAKE PLACID, N.Y.--Skating its way closer and closer to a coveted gold medal, the United States Olympic Hockey team dismantled the Romanians last night at Lake Placid 7-2, to remain unbeaten in Olympic competition.

Buzz Schneider knocked in two goals for the Americans, who regained a first place tie with Sweden in the Olympic Hockey's Blue Division. The U.S. will meet the West Germans on Wednesday night.

East Germany's Barbara Petzold glided to victory in the women's 10-kilometer cross-country ski race in 30:31.5 to give her country the lead in Olympic medals with a total of 12, including three golds. The Soviet Union is second with 11 medals, and leads the Games in gold with six. The United States follows with four medals total.

Yesterday's first run of the men's giant slalom made for the biggest surprise of the day, as highly favored Ingemar Stenmark of Sweden stood in third place behind Lichenstein's Andreas Wenzel and Hans Enn of Austria. If Wenzel maintains his position and wins the gold, he will complete the first brother-sister alpine-medal winning act in Olympic history. His sister Hanni won the women's downhill Sunday.

Stenmark, the three-time World Cup champion, refused to talk with reporters after the race.

After the compulsory figures round of the men's figures skating event, U.S. champion Charles Tickner sits comfortably in second place, behind East Germany's Jan Hoffman. American David Santee is third in the competition so far.

At the halfway point of the Nordic combined competition, which consists of both cross-country skiing and ski jumping, Ulrich Wehling of East Germany held a slim 227.2-221.8 lead over Walter Malmquist of Post Mills, Vt.

Tomorrow's Olympic line-up will showcase American speed skater Eric Heiden, going for his third gold medal in the 1000-meter race. The third gold will equal the Olympic men's speed skating record last matched by Ard Schenk of the Netherlands in 1972.

A win in tomorrow's race will also put Heiden well on his way to an unprecedented five-event sweep in the men's speed skating.