Racquetwomen to Oppose Champion Tigers Here

By Ari M. Lieman

Having survived final exams, the Harvard women's squash team faces an even sterner test today, as national champion Princeton invades Hemenway at 11 a.m.

Though undefeated, the Crimson racquetwomen have to be rated as underdogs against the awesome Tigers, who have not lost in two years.

However, under the tutelege of the legendary Jack Barnaby the Harvard team has made great progress this year.

Bolstered by the addition of freshman standouts Lisa Harrison and Jackie Corrigan and by the return of injury-plagued Sarah Mlezcko, the squad has won its first six matches, including victories over Ivy rivals Brown and Dartmouth.

But as Barnaby says, "Princeton is the team to beat. They've got three of the country's top intercollegiate players."

If Harvard beats this squash powerhouse, it will have to rely, as it has all year, on its amazing depth. Becky Tung and Margo McGlade, who have played well all year, will probably, along with Mlezcko, face Princeton's finest.

Still, as evidenced by its undefeated record, Princeton's depth probably rivals Harvard's. The two freshmen, and veterans Courtney Stimpson, captain Jenny Stone, Ellie Cunningham, and Libby Pierpont, will probably face their toughest matches of the season.

Commitment

Because of Harvard's depth, it is impossible to know what lineup Barnaby will go with against the Tigers.

Harvard does have one advantage--as Corrigan said. "We've got nothing to lose, since they're number one."

"I'm glad to have at least a week after exams to get them ready for the match," said Barnaby. "Princeton could beat us badly, but we have a long shot at an upset."