Honor Codes

DURHAM, N.C.--At the urging of Duke University President Terry Sanford, a committee of students is preparing a draft of an honor code pledging each student to "truth, honesty, good will, fairness and a concern for others."

Because the number of colleges with honor codes has declined in recent years, Sanford said, "the achievement at Duke will furnish national leadership."

Among the institutions that now have codes are Stanford, Princeton, Kent State, Vanderbilt, University of North Carolina, and three U.S. military academies.

Most codes govern only the student's own actions but codes at West Point and the Air Force Academy require a student to report the names of anyone else who has lied, cheated, or stolen anything.

At Princeton, teachers leave the room during exams and at the end each student writes the following statement: "I pledge my honor that, during this examination, I have neither given nor received assistance."

Six Stanford undergraduates were suspended from school last year for violating the honor code, mostly for cheating on exams or plagiarizing papers. Since 1972 an average of 18 students annually have been charged with violating the honor code, with the worst violators suspended from school for one quarter.

Recommended Articles

Area May Soon Have 10-Digit Phone Numbers
Boston-area residents will likely have to dial three extra digits just to call down the block starting in 1998. Responding
No Sweat University
L ast Tuesday, we represented Harvard students at a conference on sweatshops at the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, D.C., hosted
Campus Labor Group Issues Ultimatum to Rudenstine
In the wake of sit-ins at other colleges and increased anger at the lack of progress in negotiations with the
PSLM
In the wake of sit-ins at other colleges and increased anger at the lack of progess in negotiations with the
A Matter of Trust
H AVE YOU EVER cheated on an exam at Harvard? Be honest. I'll bet you haven't. We hear over and
Honorable Behavior
This week, 45 University of Virginia undergraduates are notably absent from the thousands of college students returning to class after