Icewomen Top Dartmouth, 5-1

By Ari M. Lieman

The Harvard icewomen, dormant most of this season, exploded for five goals in the final two periods en route to a 5-1 upset of Dartmouth at Bright yesterday.

Crimson goalie Katie Williams, who made the clutch saves, came within 1:02 of her first shutout of the year before Ann Dean put one in for the Big Green.

Faced with furious Dartmouth forechecking, the Harvard defense, led by co-captain Lauren Norton, held the Big Green to a 0-0 standoff in the first period. At 4:36 of the second period, Rosemary Mahoney lofted a soft shot towards Dartmouth goalie Janice Ellis, who caught the puck, bobbled it, and let it trickle into the net.

The goal seemed to give the Crimson offense a renewed sense of vigor. After Dartmouth's Susan McLaughlin had been called for tripping at 14:47, Alex Lightfoot, with three seconds left on the power play, beat Ellis on a slapshot from just inside the blue line.

Boards

After the two second-period goals, the Green goalie looked shaky and never quite regained her composure as Harvard continued its intense forechecking into the final period.

Firkins Reed scored on a breakaway at 1:36; then, at 8:23, Norton took a pass in front from Sue Yunick and shoved it past Ellis.

Sara Fischer scored Harvard's final goal on a power play with more than 17 minutes left to play. With a 5-0 lead, the Harvard defense eased, and it cost Williams the shutout. By then, though, the game was out of reach for the BIG Green.