Glueck, Noted Professor of Law, Dies at 83

Conducted Study on Delinquency

Sheldon Glueck, Pound Professor of Law Emeritus, died Monday. He was 83 years old.

Glueck spent his entire 38-year teaching career at Harvard, from 1925 until his retirement in 1963. In 1950, Glueck became Harvard's first Pound Professor of Law.

With his late wife, Eleanor Tournoff Glueck, Glueck received world-wide recognition for his research on delinquency and its causes.

Glueck also served as official U.S. delegate to the International Prison Congress in Prague in 1930 and in Paris in 1950. He was also a member of the Advisory Committee on Rules of Criminal Procedure of the U.S. Supreme Court and the head of the National Crime Prevention Institute.

The Gluecks' most influential work was a 30-year study of 500 persistent delinquents and a control group of 500 non-delinquents. The results showed that delinquents usually follow consistent patterns of crime.

Lloyd E. Ohlin, Pound Professor of Criminology, said yesterday no one has conducted as thorough an experiment in the field of criminology as Glueck's delinquent study.

Albert M. Sacks, dean of the Law School, said yesterday that Glueck was a friendly and compassionate man as well as internationally famous. "He took a warm and personal interest in young faculty members, including myself," Sacks said.

Glueck received the Isaac Ray Award of the American Psychiatric Association in 1961. He and his wife received the August Vollmer Award of the American Society of Criminology, the Gold Medal of the Institute of Criminal Anthropology and the University of Rome and the Beccaria Gold Medal of the German Society of Criminology.