Oxfam America Relief Workers See Improvement in Cambodia

Two directors of a relief operation yesterday expressed optimism about the future of Cambodia at a Kennedy School of Government press briefing.

Dr. Joseph Short and Newell Flather, representatives of the Oxfam America, based their opinions on a recent three-week field tour of Indochina that included an extensive visit with the agency's relief team in Cambodia.

Short said he was "struck that the country is coming back to life." He added that he was particularly impressed with the progress in Phnom Penh. "The last time I visited Cambodia it was empty--now there are 200,000 people over there. Short warned, however, that rapidly dwindling supplies of grain may hurt the country from April until the annual harvest next December.

Thirty-one organizations--including Oxfam--have distributed about $20 million of aid to Cambodia. Oxfam America contributed approximately $4 million of this total. Len Seligman, a fundraiser for Oxfam America, said yesterday Oxfam raised about $10,000 at Harvard through its annual fast.

Several Harvard students have helped Oxfam's effort, Seligman said. Randall E. Hubbard '83 said he started distributing literature for Oxfam while researching a project for Social Sciences 174, "Coping With International Conflict."

Inadequate

Short said he was disappointed that Congress cut the aid President Carter had promised to Cambodia from $69 to $30 million in its effort to balance the budget. Short added he believes the U.S. government has been hesitant to aid the Cambodian people, fearing it would help consolidate the Khmer Rouge, Cambodia's communist government.