Thinclads Fail at NCAAs

Murphy's Injury Not Yet Healed

The Harvard track team's two-mile relay foursome ran to an unimpressive last-place finish in their five team heat in the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championship last night at the Joe Louis Arena in Detroit.

The quartet was unable to equal its record-breaking time of 7:31.2 from the Milrose Games, as they finished the distance with an extremely disappointing time of more than 7:46.

Not Up to Par

Plagued by foot and achilles tendon injuries, junior John Murphy was unable to perform up to his capabilities. Trailing from the start of the first leg, Murphy's problems were compounded when his heavily padded shoe fell off his injured leg midway through his half-mile effort.

Following this misfortune the efforts of senior Thad McNulty, freshman Eric Schuler, and sophomore Adam Dixon were unable to overcome the great deficit which had developed during the first half mile.

Oklahoma, victorious in the heat which involved the Crimson, advanced along with Texas El Paso and Kansas to today's two-mile final.

Tom Lenz, Harvard's other participant was also unsuccessful in his bid to advance to this afternoon's final as he did not qualify in the 35-lb. weight event.

Dixon, who ran to a fine second place finish at last week's IC4A championships in Princeton (in the 1000 meters) did not compete in his specialty as he choose to run with his teammates in the two-mile relay.