Tigers Outrun Women Pacers; Beckford Posts Two Victories

By Jack A. Laschever

The Tigers from Princeton finagled their way into what was supposed to be a dual meet between the women's track teams from Harvard and Yale Saturday and outpaced their two Ivy rivals with 78 points. The Crimson, in its first meet of the outdoor season, followed in second with 46 points, and the hapless Bulldogs were leashed at 35 points and third place.

Although the Crimson still remains scarred by injuries to several of the top runners, the thinclads still managed to place well in the distance events, and outscore both teams in the field events.

Darlene Beckford proved that she could continue her streak of victories from the indoor track and cross country seasons by easily winning the 1500 meters at 4:38.9 and the 3000 meters at 10:06.7. Team-mates Kristin Linsley (4:41.6) placed second, and Ellen Gallagher (4:52.4) took fourth in the 1500, while Wiley McCarthy, in the 3000, posted her best time ever at 10:34.8.

At the end of the day, Beckford was honored as the outstanding performer, receiving the prestigious Tresurer Award. Last year that accolade went to Crimson shot putter Kim Johnson.

Johnson's presence did not go unnoticed this year either, as she handily won the shot put with a toss of 41 ft. 10 1/2 in., and placed third in the discus with a hurl of 112 ft. 10 in.

Sue St. Louis tossed in second place efforts in both the discus and the javelin.