Tracksters Lose Opener, 68-95; Udo Takes First in High Jump

By Sara J. Nicholas

The Crimson harriers fell prey to howling winds and a ruthless Tiger squad, losing their spring season opener to Princeton, 95-68, on Saturday.

Despite the absences of John Murphy and Adam Dixon, the tracksters turned in many fine individual performances.

Freshman Gus Udo was a surprise in the high jump, leaping 6 ft. 4 in. to win, before wandering across the infield to capture the long jump with his best collegiate mark ever, 24 ft. 1/2 in.

Tri-captain Tom Lenz pounded away at his own record as two of his hammer throws sailed well over 200 ft., only to be scratched for foul-outs, but prevailed with a toss of 197 ft. 8 in. to nail down a win.

Junior Dave Randall rounded out Harvard's victories in the fiendevents as he flew through the high winds to capture first place in the pole vault. Randall cleared 14 ft. 6 in. by a wide margin, obliterating his own personal record of 14 ft. 1 in. He narrowly missed an attempt at 15 ft.

The harriers also looked tough in the sprints. Tri-captain speedster Joe Salvo cruised to victory in the 100-meter dash in 10.4 seconds, over and out good buddy. Junior Marc Chapus clinched the 200 dash in 22 flat, and the 440 relay team waltzed to the finish line past a Princeton dropped baton.

Get Ready

The biggest surprise came in the grueling steeplechase event, where untested freshman Andy Regan turned in a find early season time of 9:28 to place first.