Russian Dancers Say Soviet Society Limits Expression

News Shorts

By Tracy E. Sivitz

Two Russian emigre ballet dancers said yesterday that although they believe the Russian ballet is the best in the world, they chose to leave the Soviet Union because its "controlled" society stifled their artistic creativity.

Valery Panov, long considered one of the world's finest male dancers, and Galina Panova, formerly a lead dancer with the Kirov Ballet, discussed their background and training in the first of a two-part Learning from Performers series.

The Panovs filed for permission to emigrate from the Soviet Union in 1972. Valery Panova was immediately dismissed from the Kirov Ballet, and Panova then resigned.

For two years, the Panovs were denied permission to practice or perform. In 1974, after internal pressure on behalf of the Panovs, the Soviet government allowed them to emigrate to Israel.

The Soviet government "controls" every studio and theater within the Soviet Union, and classical ballet is the only school of dance the government accepts, Panov said.

Panov added that when he tried to perform a work which he had choreographed to the music of Blood, Sweat and Tears, the government closed the theater, labeling the work "American propaganda."

The Soviet system permits no creative expression, Panov said, adding he believes that dancers perform better with exposure to other schools of dance.

Panov said he believes the Russian ballet is the finest in the world, adding that the government provides the funds and support necessary for the disciplined training which ballet requires.

The Panovs are touring in the United States for one week.