Duke Students on Food Stamps

DURHAM, N.C.--Between 200 and 300 Duke University students receive food stamps, the Duke Chronicle reported April 7.

Jennifer Hillman, an assistant to chancellor Kenneth Pye, said the university is worried about a possible negative reaction from the community about the availability of food stamps to Duke students.

Beginning next fall, Duke will inform students that if they receive food stamps, the value of the food stamps will be deducted from their financial aid, Hillman said.

A source in the Durham County Food Stamp Office said she knew of one student receiving food stamps whose parents are Harvard professors. The office is not legally permitted to release the names of recipients.

A student may legally qualify for food stamps because of his low income and resources, yet drew from a checking or savings account in his parents' name, The Chronicle said.

Recommended Articles

Police Blotter
The following reports were taken from notes in the Harvard Police log from October 9 to October 16. Police Blotter
Hong Kong Reunion
I n a little more than two weeks, I will leave my first summer home here in New York to
Harvard Study: Complex Regulations Keep Food Stamps From the Needy
The Reagan Administration has tangled the nation's food stamp program in so much red tape that it cannot fully help
A Shot in the Stark
I T WAS nice and sunny the other day so I went out my garage and pulled the dustcover off
For Over-All Misery, Alabama Wins Handily
This is the first in a series on Southern blacks. The author spent the summer as a reporter for the
CAMPAIGN TO SELL STAMPS BEGINS TODAY
The fall Bond and Stamp campaign opens today under an expanded schedule which, the War Service Committee hopes, will better