Jonathan R. Grandine Dies at Age 33

Brilliance Marked English Professor's Career

Jonathan R. Grandine '68, former assistant professor of English Literature, died yesterday after a long illness. He was 33 years old.

Grandine won the LeBaron Russell Briggs prize for his undergraduate thesis on William Wordsworth, which was later published, and became a History and Literature tutor while working on his doctoral dissertation on John Milton.

He became an assistant professor in the English Department, developing a course on "Epic Poetry from the Renaissance to the Romantics," and teaching other courses.

David D. Perkins '51, chairman of the English Department and Grandine 's undergraduate thesis adviser, said yesterday Grandine brought "force and presence" to his popular lectures.

"He prepared his courses very carefully, knew the material thoroughly, and taught literature as a reflection of life relevant to every person's experience," he said.

Paul K. Rowe '76, for whom Grandine was thesis adviser, said yesterday that in spite of an initially reserved mien, Grandine conveyed more enthusiasm for his subject than most professors at Harvard.

"His talent was not to identify himself with the persona of the poet or the author, but to stand at sort of an ironic distance," Rowe said.

Grandine had planned to attend law school in 1978, but decided to stay at the College when he found out he had cancer.

Recommended Articles

Jonathan Grandine 1946-1980
J ONATHAN GRANDINE'S death last Friday at the age of 33 deprived the University of a thoughtful scholar and students
Crunch Affects Psychology Students
The psychology department has spent the last few years adjusting to an influx of concentrators —whose ranks swelled from 282
SUMNER PREVENTION OF WAR PRIZE ANNOUNCED
Six prize awards for 1935 have been made to students as follows, it was announced yesterday. The Sumner prize of
New Prize for Government Thesis
Morton D. Hull '89, of Chicago, Ill., has established an annual prize of $250, which will be offered under the
Yardlings Nominated For NYA Conference
Nominating twelve candidates to represent them in the NYA conference at Washington Friday and Saturday, the Freshman class jumped into
Psych To See Thesis Boom
After a wave of faculty hiring spurred in part by concern that students were unable to find thesis advisers, the