Study Predicts Importance for Coal

STANFORD, Cal--A two-year study by more than 100 students and faculty members at Stanford University has concluded that American dependence on foreign oil will decline over the next 45 years and that coal will become the nation's primary source of energy.

The report also predicts that nuclear power will fade as an energy source, partly to be replaced by solar energy, and that there will be a trend away from suburban sprawl toward higher density housing.

Grant Ireson, Stanford professor of industrial engineering and director of the study, said the United States has enough coal to supply all of the nation's energy needs for 400 years.

A 40-per-cent icrease in coal production, coupled with a 6-per-cent increase in domestic oil production, could reduce current oil and gas imports by one-third, Ireson said.

The study also emphasizes conservation, to be achieved by reducing automobile size and by using electronic devices to regulate lighting and ventilation system.

The study, funded by more than $200,000 in federal grants, concluded that Americans increasingly will favor protection of the environment and curbs on material progress.

Recommended Articles

Sunshine at the B-School
I F YOU SAID the adoption of energy conservation and low-technology solar power represent the way out of the United
Synfuels: No Panacea
T HE SENATE FINANCE Committee's recent approval of $17 billion in tax breaks for producers of synthetic fuels and for
Sunshine At The B-School
U.S. Attempts to Ease Energy Crisis
Electrical power throughout New England will be reduced 5 per cent from 4 to 8 p.m. daily beginning today, a
Mather Predicts Imminent Exhaustion of Natural Oil
If you have any oil stock, you'd better get rid of it within the next 25 years according to Professor
IVY L.LEE PAYS VISIT TO BUSINESS SCHOOL TODAY
Mr. Ivy Ledbetter Lee, L.'99, one of the foremost authorities in the world on publicity, will visit the University today,