Corporation

support apartheid, but added that he expects the Corporation to accept the ACSR's view in "a year or so."

Three weeks ago the Corporation voted to abstain on an ACSR-recommended shareholder resolution requiring the Caterpillar Tractor Corporation to review its South Africa operations.

The ACSR had rejected exactly the same resolution last year, Vagts said, and the Corporation noted this discrepancy in its decision. But Vagts added, "We're determined to escalate the pressures on South Africa."

Michael L. Waldman '82, a member of the ACSR, said yesterday he was "disappointed" with the Caterpillar abstention, adding that the Corporation "should definitely go farther in being an activist shareholder."

Waldman said the ACSR will present a lengthy report in the fall on Harvard's policy towards South Africa. He added that "It'll be a tragedy if at that time they don't go along with our more activist position."

Matthew M. Rothschild '80, a member of the Southern Africa Solidarity Committee (SASC), said yesterday the abstention is "deplorable," adding, "The Corporation's position essentially means they're committed to doing nothing--they've demonstrated that time and time again."

SASC will meet this week to consider a response to the Caterpillar and IBM abstentions, Rothschild said. He did not specify what the response might be.