Tracksters Nip UNH on Relay Win

Beckford Takes Third in Penn Relays Mile

By Geoffrey T. Gibbs

A last-race victory propelled the women's track team to a narrow 64-62 triumph at the University of New Hampshire Saturday.

Martha Clabby pulled into the lead on the second leg of the two-mile relay, ensuring the Crimson a win in the crucial final race. By prior agreement between the Harvard and UNH coaches, the meet concluded in the two-mile relay instead of the customary mile relay--but the Crimson easily outpaced a strong New Hampshire quartet of half-milers behind Clabby's strong second leg.

Double Winner

Double winner Ellen Hart was Harvard's outstanding runner, capturing a 5:04 victory in the mile and a 10:58 win in the two-mile. Hart's times, although not personal bests, both set track records.

Freshman Lenny Yajima overcame back and leg injuries that had plagued her all season to win the long jump at 15 ft. 4 in. for the first victory of her collegiate career.

Co-captain Susan Harper also turned in a solid meet performance, garnering second place in the long jump, high jump and 400-meter hurdles. Kris Linsley ran a personal best 2:17 to capture the half mile, and Wiley McCarthy helped the Crimson's domination of the middle distances with an 11:13 two-mile.

THE NOTEBOOK: The absence of fresh-man star Darlene Beckford hampered the tracksters' efforts, but Beckford enjoyed a productive weekend nonetheless, winning third place in the Betsy Ross Invitational Mile at the Penn Relays Saturday. Beckford's 4:39 placed her behind only world-famous athletes Jan Merrill and Francie Larrieu... The tracksters' next test comes at the EAIAW Championships at Pittsburgh this Saturday and Sunday.

The Harvard volleyball team defeated top-seeded Princeton in the Ivy League championships this weekend at Princeton, N.J., but a 9 a.m. match yesterday morning proved to be the team's undoing, and the netters had to settle for fourth place.