Local 26 and University To Start Negotiations Soon

By Esme C. Murphy

Representatives of Local 26, the dining hall workers union, will begin its contract renegotiations with the University on April 9. The present dining hall workers contract expires on June 19.

The union will push for a substantial wage increase, given the rate of inflation, Fred Waldron, spokesman for Local 26, said yesterday. Though he refused to specify the percentage increase, Waldron said the union considered it the "number one priority."

"The economic crunch is really hitting the lower income worker," Edward B. Childs, chief shop steward for Local 26, said yesterday. "Our demands are realistic and not extravagant," he added. Both Childs and Waldron refused to disclose the union's demands, but Waldron said he was "optimistic" about the outcome of the upcoming negotiations.

Though the union is still revising the list of demands it will present the University on April 9, it is expected to include improvements in medical and dental employee coverage.

The union is also expected to bargain for an increase in vacation time, increases in other benefits and more floating holidays, a source in the union said yesterday.

The final demands will reflect worker input and proposals, the source added.

Edward W. Powers, associate general counsel and chief negotiator for the University, said yesterday he had received a copy of union demands but declined to comment on any specifics.

Daniel A. Steiner '54, general counsel to the University, also declined to comment.

"Our demands are absolutely necessary. We feel our workers need a substantial wage increase just to make ends meet," the source said.