Netmen to Face Middies; Frosh May Lead Squad

By Mark H. Doctoroff

By any logical analysis, this should be a rebuilding year for the men's tennis team. After all, last year's squad, which finished at 7-2 and a strong second in the Eastern League, lost four top players, all of which had to replaced with freshmen. So logically, coach Dave Fish's team should finish the year with about a 4-5 Eastern League mark, good for fifth place.

But college tennis is a funny sport. Since the level of play is virtually the same as many freshmen players will have faced in regular amateur competition, the transition is often not difficult. Thus, while most Harvard teams rebuild year after year, Fish managed the feat in a few months.

To a large extent, the team's success will depend on the freshmen. It's a simple question of numbers, since the Class of '83 occupies four of the top six places. With Howard Sands playing number two, Mike Turner number three, and Warren Grossman and Adam Baren playing numbers five and six, respectively, it is a young squad.

Lest the reader forget, there are still a few holdovers from years past. Just like last year, the number one slot is occupied by junior Don Pompan, defending all New England singles champion. Pompan's spring western trip, however, was reminiscent of his slow 1979 start. He could manage only a 1-4 mark against the number one players from the likes of University of San Diego, UCal Ervine, USC, Arizona, and Arizona State. The team returned with an overall 2-3 mark. It's nice to be back home.

The other returning veteran among the top six is junior captain Bob Horne, who will play number four. Horne provided the only bright spot in an otherwise tough USC match by picking up the win a number four.

Springing Youth

So much for the veterans. On this year's squad, to mix a metaphor, youth springs eternal. Sands, ranked 13th nationally in the 18 and under bracket, is the highest ranked player to come to Harvard in years. Horne calls him the team's most composed player on the court, and he enjoyed the most successful western trip, finishing at 3-2.

Grossman and Baren, rounding off the team at numbers five and six, should provide the depth necessary to put together a winning season and will make up one of the three doubles teams. Baren is considered the fastest player on the squad, and Grossman, after being injured last fall, has rebounded, and finished 3-2 out west.

This year's Eastern League schedule starts today at 2 p.m. with an important match against Navy at Soldiers Field. The Midshipmen narrowly defeated the Crimson last year and tied the squad for second place in the league. As the first test against northeastern competition, it should provide some indication of the team's performance over the coming season.