Red Cross Blood Drive

News Shorts

Nurses, volunteer workers, and donors will fill Memorial Hall until the end of next week during the biannual Red Cross blood drive.

Red Cross volunteers are hoping to pass last year's record drive by collecting close to 2000 pints of blood from Harvard students and personnel.

The entire process of filling out forms, taking blood pressure and temperature readings, and giving blood takes about an hour and 15 minutes. The last stage takes only ten minutes.

After the procedure, volunteers (mostly wives of Harvard faculty and administrators, including Sissela Bok) will assist the donors to tables of refreshments.

The process is less painful now because nurses take the blood sample from the ear lobe which is almost devoid of nerve endings, instead of from the sensitive finger tip.

Eileen M. Krafe, a nurse working on the blood drive, said yesterday, "There are two or three people who will be your blood brothers or sisters by tomorrow. You won't know who they are so I guess you'll just have to smile at everyone you see now."