What If the Blue Jays Abscond With the A.L. East Crown?

Grafics

By Laurence S. Grafstein

Usually, the green innocence of spring gives it a preliminary shape. The lazy days of summer mold it. Finally, crisp autumn eves decide it. "It," of course, is the pennant race.

What will we do this year, without the June swoons, the July days, the August streaks and the September stretch? What will happen to our psyches when ballplayers forsake bats for pickets? Boycotted Olympics aside, what are the implications for politics and sports when the presidential race acquires, by default, a monopoly of the public's attention?

Right now, the rescue mission to save our season seems destined to be aborted. For the record, the Boston Red Sox will probably close out their schedule May 22 in Toronto against the Blue Jays, who will be struggling for their first American League East crown. If the Jays succeed, at least one newfound bastion of baseball will be able to while away the summer basking in glory.

***

Opening day, Toronto, April 1977: About 45,000 fans, formerly hockey devotees cram Exhibition Stadium by the shores of Lake Ontario to witness the Blue Jays' home debut. Souvenir ticket stubs go for a buck, cokes for 95 cents. One minor problem delays the game: the field is blanketed in snow.

By the fourth inning, spectators can detect traces of green artificial turf. Eventually, the playing surface emerges but the snowfall continues until the top of the ninth.

The White Sox put up a valiant battle, but these Blue Jays will not be denied victory. Doug Ault clouts two homers, then comes to the plate with the bases loaded. He hits into a double play.

No matter. The Jays prevail, 9-5. Only half the fans get frostbite.

***

After jumping out to a blistering 5-2 start that first season, the Jays melted. Manager Roy Hartsfield implored victory-starved supporters to remain patient, often citing the New York Mets.

But Toronto fans' hunger for wins was mild measured against their thirst for beer. Ontario's priggish provincial government deemed the vending of alcoholic beverages at the ballpark immoral.

Thereafter, the team acquires the not so-affectionate nickname of "Brew Jays." Doug Ault mires himself in a horrible slump.

***

Toronto has something of a baseball heritage. For many years, the Maple Leafs competed with a modicum of success in the International League. A youthful Rico Carty proved his hitting mettle at Christie Pitts, the Leafs' home. Sparky Anderson and Dick Williams sharpened their managing expertise.

Paralysis

Rico came "home" during the Blue Jays' second year, adding punch to a lackluster batting order. Bob Bailor, who his .310 the first year, faded in an injury-filled sophomore year. No beer was sold at Exhibition Stadium. The pattern of the losses was routinized; the city fell into the habits of despair.

Reliever Victor Cruz provided a glimmer of delight with several late-inning fireman exploits. At the end of the season, he was promptingly traded, along with his sparkling earned run average, to Cleveland.

Before the third campaign began, Doug Ault was cut. Solid catcher Alan Ashby was traded to Houston for pitcher Mark Lemongello. Soon, the squad's lone Canadian, switch-hitting infielder Dave McKay of British Columbia, was demoted. On Opening Day, 1979, about 23,000 people turned out in freezing rain. The Jays dumped the Kansas City Royals.

***

Summer, 1979: It appeared we would be a few minutes late for the game. My friend and I discussed what a pity it would be to miss a grand slam home run in the top of the first. When we arrived, Willie Mays Aikens was rounding the bases after blasting a shot into the bleachers with the bases loaded, giving the Angels a 4-0 lead.

But we still got to the stadium in time to see California's six-run rally in the top of the second.

Much-heralded pitcher Mark Lemongello hurled more chairs than strikes last year, and wound up the season with a petulant 6.29 ERA.

Oh, there have been moments before the New Jays sprinted to the head of the A.L. East pack this spring. The 19-3 thrashing of the Yanks, the two-touchdown 24-10 win over the Orioles. But as the 1980 baseball season enters its stretch drive, long-suffering Jays lovers have nothing to complain about, except perhaps the dearth of beer.

Consider the pitching staff: Dave Stieb, 4-1, 2.23 ERA pending last night's contest with those pesky Mariners of Seattle, is a prime candidate for the Cy Young. Joey McLaughlin might grab the fireman of the year laurels.

And if Otto Velez goes on a tear before Memorial Day, he has a chance to capture the Triple Crown, something no batter has won since Yaz in 1967.

Further, brilliant fielder John Mayberry is in line for a Golden Glove.

Aborted season or not, the May Jays deserve a pat on the back, or at least a frosty brew, for their efforts. But the fans merit it more.