Mather House Residents Choose New Senior Tutor

By Burton F. Jablin

Nancy Shields Kollmann, a teaching fellow in History, will become senior tutor at Mather House July 1, pending Corporation approval.

David and Patricia A. Herlihy, comasters of Mather House, submitted Kollmann's name to Dean Fox last month after they, the current senior tutor, resident tutors and students interviewed eight candidates for the position, Patricia Herlihy said yesterday.

"She's a scholar first and foremost, and she seemed to have the right qualities insofar as she had dealt with students and can empathize with them," she added.

Kollmann said yesterday the interview process left her with a "very good impression" of the House and especially of its students. "I found a very congenial atmosphere," she added.

A former resident tutor in North House, Kollmann said she has also been nominated to a lectureship in the History Department next year.

All-Purpose

Kollmann will replace Harry W. Orf, who also serves half-time as director of the Biochemistry Laboratory. After giving up his senior tutorship July 1, Orf will take on the directorship of the laboratory full time and also serve as a lecturer in Biochemistry and Biology.

Orf said yesterday he was "absolutely delighted" by Kollmann's nomination. "I think she'll be very good for the House overall because she s easy to talk to, which is a crucial asset for someone in this position," he said.

Practice Makes Perfect

Fox's office drew up a list of potential candidates for the position and sent it to the Herlihys, Orf said, adding that the group interviewed each candidate three times.

Kollman earned her bachelor's degree in History and Russian language from Middlebury College in Vermont. She received her masters and doctorate degrees in History from Harvard.