Debt-Ridden Quincy Film Club To Show Movie 'Deep Throat'

By William E. McKibben

The Quincy House Film Society will show "Deep Throat" this weekend in an effort to cover a series of unexpected debts, film society spokesman Fred Geyer '81 said yesterday.

The movie, rated X on its release nearly a decade ago, "seemed the quickest and easiest way to make up more than $500 in debts," John Donahue '80, past president of the film society, said yesterday.

"I hope there would be some kind of demonstration against it," Alison Dundes '81, president of Radcliffe Union of Students (RUS), said last night. "I haven't seen the film, but from what I've heard, it is rather distasteful and it objectifies women," Dundes added.

Priorities

Last fall some students protested the film societty's screening of "The Cheerleaders." If there is no protest at tonight's showing, Dundes said it would not be evidence of apathy "but simply that we are in the midst of exams and term papers."

"To tell you the truth we expected a certain number of people might be offeded by 'Deep Throat,'" Geyer said, adding that the entire film society made the decision to show the film.

"I find it demeaning to women, and for that reason I personally wouldn't spend my money on it," Geyer said, adding "I have no moral problems with others seeing it."

Quick Fix

The film society is "in the hole for a lot of money," he said. The only way out seem to be a porn flick."

The society was billed $400 for damage caused when students threw bottles at the Science Center screen during a showing of the movie "Animal House" last month, Donahue said. In addition, the $950 debt of the Film Studies Council was divided among house film societies, adding $110 to the Quincy group's tab.

Publicity for the showing has been "low key," Geyer said. "We just put posters on the regular bulletin boards--hopefully people who want to go can do so, and others won't have to be offended," he said.

Dean Epps said last night the University "discouraged" the showing of pornographic movies, and added he would "look into" the Deep Throat presentation. "It would be important to try and see the legal implications," he said.

Quincy House has no policy against showing porno films, Allston Burr Senior Tutor Elizabeth Swain said yesterday, adding, "I'm not in favor of censorship.