Grand Jury Will Indict Rape Suspects

By Alexandra D. Korry

A Boston grand jury which convened Wednesday to hear evidence on the rapes of a Business School student and her female friend will probably hand down indictments next week.

Sources in the Suffolk County District Attorney's office said yesterday the grand jury, after hearing one day of evidence including the testimony of the victims, will issue indictments against Daris J. Davis, a 19-year-old from Dorchester, and another man suspected in the rape and assault case.

A Different Courtroom

The probable cause hearing scheduled for Davis in Brighton District Court today will be suspended because the grand jury decision moves the case up to Suffolk Superior Court.

Once the grand jury issues the indictments, Davis will be arraigned in Suffolk Superior Court. Davis has been held at the Charles St. Jail since his arraignment in Brighton District Court on April 19. Though the judge set bail at $50,000, he refused to let Davis out on his own recognizance after police testified that he had skipped bail in prior cases, police sources said last month.

University and Boston police are still searching for a second suspect in the case, who eluded the police during a foot chase following the rapes the morning of April 19.

Saul L. Chafin, chief of University police, said yesterday the police are following every lead to locate the second suspect, adding they believe he is not in the immediate area.

Police sources last month said the two suspects allegedly accosted the B-School student and her male escort outside Gallatin Hall, forcing them at knifepoint inside and to the victim's room, where another woman was staying.

After forcing the male to strip, the two suspects allegedly raped the women and the forced them to carry their valuables to a car, sources told The Crimson last month