Crimson Heavy Oarsmen Impale Yale

Four-Mile Victory Caps Undefeated Season

By Nell Scovell

In a word--perfection.

The Harvard men's heavyweight crew completed its pristine 1980 season by trouncing Yale in the 115th renewal of the nation's oldest intercollegiate athletic competition on the Thames River in New London, Conn., June 7.

Turning the unexpected into the expected with a come-from-behind victory, the Crimson eight captured the Sexton Cup for the 19th consecutive time and shattered the old four-mile downstream course record by 59 seconds.

To a Tee

Harvard stormed past the finish line in 18:22.4 while the Elis trickled in two boatlengths behind at 18:30.8. The 1948 Harvard crew previously owned the fastest time of 19:21.4.

Although the Harvard eight entered the race with the Easterns Sprints Championship and t-shirts from every team it had raced, the Elis looked threatening.

"We figured Yale would be fast so our strategy was to hang with them and try to come back after a mile," newly elected captain John MacEachern said. "But Yale was able to keep it up through two miles and we were a little worried."

Trailing by almost two-and-a-half lengths with a mile and a half to go, the Crimson created its own version of a magic mile as coxswain Ted Tsomides and stroke Matt Arrot called a well-timed power ten and the boat began to move on the Elis.

By the three-and-a-half mile mark of the grueling course, Harvard had secured a one-seat lead over the exhausted Eli squad.

"Our boat clicked right at the point when Yale was feeling the pain most," number three seat Charlie Storey said. "When we felt our boat really moving, it inspired us and demoralized them."

To Row or Not to Row

Since Harvard has reigned over this event for the past 18 years, Storey said the boat "sensed the race was a significant event in Harvard history even though Harry [Parker, the coach], was careful not to bring up the issue. It was as if it was the first time Harvard and Yale had raced."

Still, MacEachern noted the Parker, who is presently in Europe coaching the U.S. National Team, came alive on the coach's launch with a mile to go. "It's hard to picture it," MacEachern said, "but it's a really big race."

And overall it was a really big season.