Demonstrators Disrupt Talks On MATEP

State officials called capitol police to the offices of the Department of Environmental Quality Engineering (DEQE) Wednesday after community opponents of the Harvard-backed Medical Area Total Energy Plant (MATEP) disrupted a scheduled conference.

Lawyers for both the power plant and community groups were scheduled to meet with DEQE officials to set dates for new hearings on the controversial power plant, but about 15 residents blocked the hearing room door and told DEQE officials they would not allow a hearing to take place.

When the residents refused to move, DEQE deputy commissioner David Fierra, who called the meeting, called the capitol police to his offices on the 21st floor of 100 Cambridge St. and tried to move the meeting downstairs.

But lawyers for MATEP's opponents, including a variety of environmental and political groups from the Brookline-Mission Hill area, refused to break through lines formed by their clients and the meeting was eventually held on the telephone.

The residents were protesting Fierra's decision of last week to reopen hearings on the environmental effects of the plant's proposed diesel engines, which MATEP needs to be cost-and energy-efficient.

Opponents charged that Fierra's decision was biased in favor of Harvard because the hearing--now scheduled to begin August 26--will only deal with the issue of whether diesel emissions will cause pollution in certain "hot spots" to rise above safe levels.

"Hot spots," which include Harvard Square, the Callahan tunnel entrance and the Allston toll booth on the turnpike, are areas of heavily congested traffic with already-high nitrogen dioxide levels.

Community opposition and a series of DEQE rulings against Harvard have delayed full operation of the power plant, which is designed to provide steam, chilled water and electricity to 13 institutions in Harvard's Medical Area.

MATEP opponents contend the plant's diesel engines would emit nitrous oxides at levels harmful to animal and human health.

The community residents were "abusive and unpleasant," L. Edward Lashman, the University's director of external projects who was at the DEQE offices Wednesday said yesterday.

Lashman said that lawyers for the residents were "grandstanding" by not attending the session. Attorneys for MATEP opponents were unavailable for comment.

During the conference call, representatives for all three parties agreed that MATEP would present its testimony to the DEQE by July 21. DEQE officials and community groups will have until August 15 to respond to that testimony.

If Fierra rules against installation of the diesels after the hearings, which are expected to last no more than a week, Harvard officials have said MATEP will go to court to secure a permit.

University officials and MATEP lawyers declined to say how much money the two-month delay will tack on to the cost of the plant.

Slated in 1976 to cost $40 million, the power plant has become a major financial burden; officials estimate it has now cost more than $215 million