University, District 65 Brace For Long Recognition Struggle

News Analysis

By Laurence S. Grafstein

The union trying to organize clerical and technical workers in the Medical Area is gearing up for a fall campaign, and University administrators show signs of both wariness and determination to thwart the effort.

District 65, United Auto Workers, first attempted to unionize Med Area employees six years ago. Its protracted struggle ended in defeat in June 1977 when workers voted to reject the representation bid by 436-346.

This time around, however, District 65 members say they have profited from the experience and express confidence that their second campaign will prove successful. Meanwhile, University officials are bracing for the anticipated battle.

While acknowledging that District 65 "is free under the National Labor Relations Act to try to organize," Daniel D. Cantor, director of personnel, says he is uncertain whether the introduction of a union in the Med Area would be productive.

"I'm not sure the presence of District 65 at Boston University, for example, has enhanced research and working conditions at B.U.," Cantor notes.

Since May, District 65 has shown itself adept at associating the union with issues at the Med School, and has put the University in an awkward position as a result.

"The labor law puts employers in a tenuous situation. That is we would like to sit down and talk with the group, but that would constitute a type of recognition," Cantor explains.

Edward W. Powers, associate general counsel for employee relations, agrees with Cantor that recognition of District 65 creates a set of problems for the University, especially fragmentation and multiplication of bargaining units.

Powers indicated in May that even if the District 65 wins a representation election the University would contest the United Auto Workers affiliate's appropriateness as a bargaining unit.

Say No Evil

To avoid any possible disadvantages in what promises to be another lengthy struggle, the University has taken a tight-lipped stance.

Silence greeted District 65 member Johanna Kovitz when, at an environmental health subcommittee meeting last week, she raised the issue of two potentially hazardous chemicals used at Building E at the Medical School.

But the University took prompt steps to improve ventilation in the building, although it was already slated for full-scale renovation in the fall. Kovitz says Med School officials implemented the interim measures because of union pressure, while administrators deny that District 65 had anything to do with the changes.

District 65 has managed to siphon off most of the credit, in the eyes of Med Area workers, for both the ventilation improvements and the reassignment of former Med School media technician Benjamin Gladney whose job was supplanted by automation.

University officials fear an upwelling of sentiment for the union in the fall, when District 65 will probably file for election with the National Labor Relations Board.

Union organizers also feel more confident about this campaign because they are now affiliated with United Auto Workers, much stronger nationwide than Distributive Workers of America, with which District 65 was previously linked. United Auto Workers president Douglas Fraser met with union members in April and offered full support.

Even with the momentum they have gathered this year, District 65 organizers will not rest on their laurels. "It's going to be a hot summer at Harvard," Kristine Rondeau, one organizer, says