Father's Facelift

By Paul A. Engelmayer

Remember when the Yankees replaced combative manager Billy Martin with easygoing Dick Howser? Well, the Father's Six bar is undergoing a similar facelift this fall, as its management hopes to parlay its new name--The Bow and Arrow Pub--and different decor into larger, more peaceful crowds for the establishment.

The addition of "leisurely seating," including couches and padded chairs, should reduce the number of weekend fights that occur in the bar by making clientele more comfortable, Barry Bornstein, owner of the establishment, said yesterday.

He added that possible changes in lighting and other as yet undecided changes should "spruce up the place a little bit and attract more customers." Bornstein said, however, that fights were not the principal cause of the renovations, adding that brawls in Father's Six decreased considerably after the state's drinking age rose to 20 last spring.

Sergeant Richard P. Ring of the Cambridge Police said yesterday the new drinking age had reduced scuffles in all Cambridge bars, adding that Father's Six continued to host more fights last year than other neighborhood bars.

Ring disagreed with Bornstein on the effect of the renovations. "It's not the decor of the bar room that starts fights; it's the alcohol. When young people get drunk, they can get very nasty."