Women Booters to Open Season Today

Crimson Has Question Marks in Goal

By Mike Bass

As the women's soccer team makes the three-hour bus ride to Bowdoin this morning, coach Bob Scalise will be doing some serious thinking. Who's going to start in goal?

Last year's starter, All-Ivy Wendy Carle, has graduated. And number two goaltender Barb Mahon is taking the year off.

Scalise had been counting on women's basketball star Nancy Boutellier to fill Carle's cleats. But Boutellier felt playing soccer might affect her basketball performance and decided to leave the team.

Left to fill the position are three freshmen, Ann Diamond, Susan Newell and Patty Muldowney, and a junior, Dana Warren, who has never played soccer at Harvard prior to this season.

"All four of them show potential-one may even turn out to be another Wendy Carle," Scalise said yesterday. "But it's too soon to tell. For now we're just going to have a lot of inexperience in goal."

To help out his new goaltender, Scalise moved last season's center halfback, Jeanne Piersiak, to center fullback.

"Jeanne will give us more speed and aggressiveness on the back line," Scalise said.

Complimenting Piersiak nicely on the fullback line are sophomores Laura Mayer and Susan Rockwell. Both started at the wing fullback positions for part of last season.

At the midfield positions speed and aggressiveness will again be the keys. Senior co-captain Gia Johnson, a four-year starter, anchors the left halfback position.

Scalise will choose from among three experienced varsity players, Kerry Bryan, Sara Fischer and Ellen Jakovic to fill the other two halfback positions.

Up front, the Crimson offense looks potent. Career scoring leader and co-captain Sue St. Louis, junior right wing Cat Ferrante and left wing Kelly Gately are all back, and junior Laurie Gregg, a visiting student from Lehigh where she played on the men's junior varsity team, has looked excellent as the back striker.