Netwomen Topple Tufts

Three Freshmen Lead Charge

It's been the same story all fall for the women's tennis team. Injuries, sickness, and even religious holidays have kept the top players off the courts, but the netwomen have prevailed in all but one of their matches.

Yesterday it was Tufts' turn to crumble under the Crimson onslaught. Although four of the top five players did not see action, Harvard barely broke a sweat in disposing of the Jumbos, 8-1, in Medford.

Led by freshmen in the top three positions, the netwomen clinched the match early by sweeping the six singles contests. Yardling Tracy Kunichika needed only 30 minutes to sink her opponent, 6-0, 6-1; and classmates Elizabeth Evans and Debbie Kaufman treated their rivals in similar fashion at numbers one and two.

Kristin Mertz, Liz Seigel and Denise Koo wrapped up the remaining singles contests in straight sets.

Harvard missed its chance at a perfect day when the first doubles team of Kaufman and Mertz succumbed, 6-4, 6-3.

With yesterday's victory over Tufts, the netwomen concluded their dual-match play for the fall campaign with a 5-1 slate, including wins over Penn State, B.C., Cambridge/Oxford and UMass. The Crimson's sole loss came October 7 against B.U., when five of the top six players did not compete.

Aside from dual-match play, Harvard has brought home trophies from the Greater Boston Championships and the Mass States this fall, placing the team among the favorites at the New Englands this weekend at UMass/Amherst.