Last-Minute Tally Sinks Stickwomen

With 90 seconds left yesterday's field hockey game. Springfield forward Sherren Granese knocked in a rebound off Crimson goalie Juliet Lamont to break a 2- 2 tie and drop Harvard's record to 3-4-1.

In their first home appearance in almost two weeks, the Crimson stickwomen played well, but were plagued by scoring difficulties that have bothered them all season. Harvard's inability to capitalize on scoring opportunities in the first half haunted the squad later as Springfield scored three times in the second period.

The Crimson was on the offense for most of the first half, outshooting Springfield five to one and receiving seven short corners to Springfield's three.

Buttefingers

But Harvard was unable to convert on the short corners awarded the squad on Springfield penalties. Tania Huber, who usually takes the pass from the corner and stops it with her bare hand, had trouble controlling the ball.

"The short corners killed us," coach Edie MacAusland said. "After a week of practicing on astroturf for the B.C. game, the team had difficulty handling the ball on the grass."

The Crimson scored in the first half when freshman Ellen O'Neil broke through the Springfield defense and passed off to Jennifer White who beat Springfield goalie Robin Kirkwood with a drive into the lower left corner.

Smoking

But after playing a listless first half, the Springfield offense came out smoking in the second half. With less than 30 seconds gone on the clock. Springfield forward Sue Monahan put the ball in the net as a mob of players surrounded the Crimson goal.

Springfield scored again a few minutes later when Grenese took a feed from teammate Lisa DiStefano and caught goalie I amount on the move to put Springfield up 2-1.

Harvard finally decided to abandon the hand stop strategy on the short corners, a change in tactics that paid off when Beth Mullen took a short corner ball and passed it to line Lili Pew, who pocked it through the goalie's legs.

Standoffish

The remainder of the game was a standoff until Granese converted her second tally of the dav to give Springfield the win.

Harvard made one last desperate at tempt to even the score, but an overanxious squad drove the ball out of bounds.

Buttefingers

Smoking

Standoffish

Smoking

Standoffish