N. Y. Clinches A.L. Crown, Rolls 4-0

Led by a Willie Randolph home run, the New York Yankees captured their 33rd American League pennant yesterday, capping a three game sweep of the Oakland A's with a 4-0 win in the Oakland Coliseum.

Oakland pitcher Matt Keough limited the Yanks to four hits through five innings before New York second baseman Willie Randolph lofted a ball into the left field stands to put the Yankees ahead for good.

The Yanks spread some icing in the ninth inning when Graig Nettles, who nabbed series M.V.P. honors, smashed a bases-loaded double to dirve in three runs.

Yankee starter Dave Righetti and relievers Ron Davis and Rich Gossage combined to limit the A's to four hits, only one after the third stanza.

New York pounded out 10 hits on the night against the combined efforts of Matt Keough, who picked up the loss, and Tommy Underwood, who gave up the base-clearing double to Nettles that put the game out of reach.

The Yankees will have to wait at least until the end of the weekend to find out their World Series opponent. The Montreal-Los Angeles series, which is knotted at one apiece, resumes tonight at Olympic Stadium in Montreal.