Kirkland, SoHo Whitewash Opponents

Defenses Stand Tough While Offenses Sputter

"Everybody has heard of Billyball. Now they've seen Pabloball," Kirkland House football coach Pablo Smith said, describing the defensive masterpiece which enabled his team to shut down Leverett House 6-0 in House football action yesterday afternoon.

Kirkland quarterback Mike Ryan's 21-yard touchdown pass to tightend Mark Flood, which followed a 26-yard Ryan-to-Flood connection, capped the only productive drive of the game.

"We hit Leverett with our long secret weapon in the end. La Bomba," Smith said, patting Flood on the shoulder.

Inpenetrable

Throughout the entire game, the Kirkland defensive line--led by lineman Alex Green and Jack Flanigan--was practically inpenetrable, giving up only two first downs to a dumbfounded Leverett offense. "Our line blew them off the ball all day, assistant coach Jeff McKenzie said.

The running of Kirkland fullback John "Workbench" Gilles was also an instrumental factor in the eventual victory, even though he did not score. Gaining more than 100 yards, Gilles provided Kirkland with a flow of first downs while eating away at the remaining time and Leverett's scoring opportunities.

"The Kirkland defense was the best. That's why we won the game," Flood said.

Kirkland (1-0) will take on Currier (0-1) next Tuesday in a game which would seem to promise a defensive struggle. And South (1-0) will wrestle with Leverett (0-1) the same day.

In another superlative defensive display yesterday, South House also beat its opponent, Currier, by a score of 7-0.

One successful scoring drive was all SoHo needed to gain its first victory of the young House football season. The running of SoHo fullback Ricky Galloto and halfback Marc Paul drove the SoHo squad to the Currier 9-yard line, setting up a Joe Auteri-to-Walter Paulson touchdown delivery. Paul successfully booted the extra and final point.

Auteri was reluctant to praise his squad's offense, however. "Offensively, I just don't know. We couldn't get anything going," he said.