Benacerraf Considered

Nobel Laureate Dr. Baruj Benacerraf, Fabyan Professor of Comparative Pathology at the Medical School, is one of three candidates being considered by the Reagan administration for the directorship of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the Washington Post reported yesterday.

An official at the Health and Human Services Department in Washington said yesterday that Richard S. Schweiker, secretary for the department, would submit a nomination to President Reagan "within two weeks." The NIH distributes most of its $3.6 billion annual budget towards medical research.

Benacerraf shared the Nobel Prize in Medicine and Physiology in 1980 for his work on genetically determined cellular mechanisms for communication between body cells.

Benacerraf has been chairman of the Department of Pathology since 1970. Prior to that he served for two years as the chief of the laboratory of immunology at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases in Bethesda, Md.

The Washington Post reported that the other candidates for the post are Dr. Richard Krausse, current head of the NIAID, and Dr. William Danforth, a faculty member at the Washington University Medical School in St. Louis, Mo.

Recommended Articles

MBAs Network at Tech. Conference
Over 1,200 business school students from across the globe joined technology industry leaders and academics at the Harvard Business School
Domestic Partners Register
Until yesterday, Cambridge laws had denied Lisa Schwieg and Jan B. Shafer the right to an official partnership. But that
How Low Can We Go?
The recent grade inflation controversy began with William Cole's article in the January Chronicle of Higher Education. Cole later wrote
New Health Service Pharmacy May Ease Drug-Price Burden
The University Health Services is formulating plans for a new pharmacy of its own to combat the overpricing of prescription
Smith Needs To Brush Up on Wealth of Nations
To the editors: In his comment “Self-Righteous Liberals at 19” (Oct. 14) , Luke Smith ’04 defends future CEOs by
First American to Win Oxford Prize
When the Newdigate Prize at Oxford was awarded to W. C. Greene '11, a Rhodes scholar there, for a poem