Quincy, South, and Winthrop Victorious

Auteri Downs Leverett

Pittsburgh has Bradshaw to Bradshaw to Swann and San Diego has Fouts to Joiner, and now South House has Auerti to Chaney. This formidable passing combination accounted for one touchdown and over 100 yards as South beat a spunky Leverett squad 20-3 yesterday to raise its record to 2-0.

In spite of harsh winds and temperature hovering around the 40- degree mark. Soho coach Peter Kelley said the team's offensive strategy was. "To come out throwing."

The aerial display commenced on South's second possession of the game when Auetri found Chaney open across the middle, and the big split end ramblked 40 yards for the score.

Despite giving up several football fields of yardage, the small but tenaclous Leverett despite, led by senior captain Mike Rapposelli, managed to keep South out of the end zone for the rest of the half--which ended 7-3. Leverett scored with under a minute left when Peter Martin kicked a wind-aided but nevertheless spectacular 42-yard field goal that ricocheted in off the left upright.

South quickly reganied momentum when Auteri, just second after the second-half kickoff, took advantage of Leveret's double coverge on Chaney and hit tight end Bob Carey in the end zoen for a 50-yard score.

Leverett's own passing combination of Martin to Aaron Dean clicked for 80 yards in the second half--including a miraculous 45-yard completion off a faked punt--but could not reach paydirt against the seasoned South defense led by article Paul McDermott.