Stickwomen Blanked By Penn, Beat Bentley; Martin Scores Twice to Spark 4-1 Victory

After a disappointing loss to UPenn Saturday at Soldiers Field, the field hockey team ended a two-game losing streak with a convincing 4-1 victory over Bentley College yesterday in Waltham.

The weekend began badly for the squad, with Harvard losing a tough game to the Quakers, 1-0. Neither team dominated, but Penn managed to get off shots while the Crimson seemed at a loss once the ball was near the goal. The lone tally of the game came early in the second half when Quaker Julia Russell scored off a shut corner.

In spite of continued Quaker pressure throughout the second half, Harvard rose to the occasion and kept the score close. The Crimson made one last run at the net in the closing seconds of the game but lost possession deep in Penn's end.

Harvard had gone 140 minutes without a goal and scoring was the team's primary objective in Sunday's game against Bentley. Junior Kate Martin didn't waste any time putting the ball past the outstretched hand of the Bentley netkeeper in the opening minute of play. Ten minutes later Martin scored again, converting a beautiful pass by Tania Huber.

The Harvard team let up a bit late in the first half. Bentley scored on a rebound off Katie Williams, and had many other scoring opportunities but was unable to capitalize on them. The half ended with the score 2-1.

The Crimson looked much better in the second half, completely dominating the last ten minutes of the game. Captain Maureen Finn scored on a penalty stroke, and freshman Andrea Mainelli got her first goal as a Harvard player to make the final score 4-1.

Huber and freshman Ellen O'Neil both played excellent games. Huber had two assists and was a major force in the offense while O'Neil hustled all over the field on defense and moved the ball forward when Harvard was on the attack.

Sunday's match was the team's first victory, and coach Edie MacAusland described it as a "turning point." Martin--the game's high scorer--commented on the win, "We worked better as a team. We wanted it alot. We were overdue. Long over due."

The stickwomen's record stands at 1-2-1, 0-1 in the Ivy League. The Crimson plays Providence College tomorrow and travels to Cornell on Friday.