School Results

City officials finally finished counting the ballots from last week's election yesterday, awarding seats on the school committee to three liberals and three conservatives.

Jane F. Sullivan became the first woman member of the neighborhood-oriented conservative Independent slate to win a spot on the committee in 26 years, edging out Frances Cooper of the liberal Cambridge Civic Association (CCA). The CCA controlled the committee with a 4-2 majority during the last term.

The Independents could gain a 4-3 edge on the new committee if the city council elects an Independent councilor as mayor. The mayor serves as the seventh member of the committee.

Sullivan won her seat when transfer votes from David Blackman did not give Cooper enough support to overcome the lead Sullivan had built on transfers from defeated Independents.

All four incumbents in the race--Sara Mae Berman, Joseph Maynard, Glenn Koocher '71 and Henrietta Attles--retained their seats and Sullivan and Independent Alfred Fantini were elected as new members.

The three Independent seats will probably doom the lay-off policy implemented by the current CCA-dominated school committee. That policy blocked the layoff of minority and many younger teachers; the Independents campaigned on a pledge of lay-off by strict seniority.