Winthrop Slips by Currier in OT Win

Eliot Drives on Leverett

By Andy Doctoroff

If you're reading this article you must have played in one of the two House football games which took place yesterday, because not a heck of a lot was riding on them except--as Knute Rockne would say--pride.

The afternoon's premier event--a contest which remained scoreless through four quarters--saw Winthrop squeak past Currier 8-6 in overtime when quarterback Charlie Slack completed a two-point conversion on his one-yard keeper into the endzone.

With each team receiving a set of downs to score from the ten--House football's own version of the Oklahoma tiebreaker--Mike Ealy's seven-yard toss to halfback Ronnie Townsend, who was standing alone in the endzone put Currier temporarily in the lead, 6-0. The difference in the game was Currier's inability to get the posttouchdown two-pointer. On fourth down, Winthrop's last scoring opportunity, a Slack-to-tightend Cormac McLoud touch-down connection tied it at six. Slack's fall into the endzone secured the Winthrop victory.

With several broken plays, fumbles and interceptions, the game wasn't a work of brilliant football art. "We're called Winthrop High, but we're actually pretty mellow," Winthrop coach Bret Schundler said after the game. "Our team really apprecaites the fact that we're playing just for fun."

In other action, Eliot House earned its way to Yale as it ran over and whitewashed Leverett, 19-0. The squad's solid performance lead spectators--the few that there were--to believe that Eliot is a better team than its 1-2 regular season record suggested.

After an E-House fumble recovery on the 22 and a pass completion from quarterback Andy St. Pierre to Doug Coatesworth to the one-yard line, St. Pierre dove into the endzone for his team's first six-pointer of the day. On the first play of the second half, St. Pierre scrambled and returned a kick-off 80 yards for the score to put the Eliot eleven ahead 12-0. And, late in the game, Coatesworth snagged another St. Pierre throw to seal the lid on an outmatched Leverett.

Eliot's record is uninspiring only because of tough opposition, E-House coach Mike Elliott said. "We're a very strong team, but we're also a victim of House football circumstances," he added.