Sailors Nab Atlantic Title

By John Losos

The Harvard sailing team finished its season victoriously, slipping by Tufts and Boston University to win the wind-shortened Atlantic Coast Championships this weekend at the Coast Guard Academy in New London. Conn.

Junior sailor John Keene turned in an outstanding performance, his best of the season, capturing first in the "B" division four times, along with a second and a third place finish.

No Question

"There's no question that, in this regatta. Johnny was the best sailor there. To win two-thirds of your races in a college regatta is phenomenal," jubilant coach Mike Horn said.

Mike Keane, John's brother, turned in a fine performance in the "A" division, capturing a first and two seconds. The team ended with 53 points, tied with Tufts and B.U., but Harvard had the better record in competition among the three. The Tufts team is the same one that took the national championships last year, while the B.U. squad is ranked first nationally this year.

High winds, caused an unusually large number of mechanical breakdowns--Brian Keane capsized once as a result--and 40-50 knot breezes forced the cancellation of Sunday's races.