Ruggers Whip Brown, 31-6

The Harvard rugby team--now 7-1--got back on the winning track Saturday when Charlie Bott and Keith O'Hana led the Crimson in a 31-6 Crimson thrashing of Brown in providence.

Bott, Harvard's inside center, scored a try and kicked three conversions, two penalties and a drop goal, while O'Hana, who plays next to Bott at outside center, ran for two tries.

Unlike UMass, which edged Harvard, 13-12, last week, Brown proved no competition for the stronger, quicker, Crimson. "We sort of blew them out," wing forward Keven Lorentsen said. "We were in better condition and were better skilled."

Harvard's forwards controlled the scrum, gained numerous tightheads, won most of the lineouts, and got more than their share of the loose ball. The backs were on their game, constantly pressuring Brown with movements near the Bruin goal line.

Harvard came out strong and set up a try within the first three minutes. Driving ahead, the Crimson forwards won good ball from a ruck. Fly half Keith Watling dashed across the field and created an overlap, and while the Brown line raced about in disarray, Harvard took advantage of its extra man, with O'Hana carrying the ball in for the try.

Bott kicked the conversion, and Harvard found itself up,6-0.

Bott later converted two penalty kicks and kicked a 25-yard drop goal to give the Crimson a 15-6 halftime margin.

The Crimson struck again early in the second half. Harvard zipped the ball down the line to Bott, who broke through three Brown defenders, ran 20 yards, then kicked the ball over two approaching Bruins. The speedy Harvard rugger caught his own kick on the fly without breaking strike and went on to score beneath the goalposts. He then kicked the conversion.

After Lorentsen blocked a kick with his face to keep the ball deep in the Brown end, O'Hana scored a second try. The Crimson outside center threw a beautiful fake and then scored a try similar to the one he scored at the start of the game.

Watling added the final Crimson try, scoring from 25 yards out after scrum half Gary Marx--normally a flanker--broke through on the blind side and fed Watling the ball.

Only two sides have tested Harvard all year. Princeton played a solid first half against the Crimson, and UMass edged Harvard, 13-12, last week.

Bott said this lack of challengers has hurt the Crimson game. "You lose that sharpness, that physical vitality that comes from playing good competition," he said.

Harvard should get a challenge in two weeks, when the ruggers take on Ontario's Queen's College, a 7-1 side that has allowed only one try this season.