1000 Seek Harvard Boycott of Nestle's

By Fern E. Reiss

The Harvard-Radcliffe Infant Formula Coalition has collected about 1000 signatures on a petition this week calling on the University to boycott Nestle products, but dining hall managers said yesterday consumption of Nestle iced tea has not declined since the student boycott began last week.

Coalition members urged students not to drink Nestle's iced tea, which is available in ten of the University dining halls.

Negativism

Nestle Company, Inc. markets infant formula that has been linked to malnutrition and increased infant mortality rate in third world countries, Michael R. Kremer '85, a coordinator of the coalition, said yesterday.

The coalition tentatively plans to submit the petition to the administration within the next two weeks and to notify Food Services and the dining halls of the results, Kremer said.

Affirmation

"A lot of people said they'd stopped using Nestle products, and a lot of people said they'd stop using them from now on." Damon Kurowski '85, another coordinator of the coalition, said yesterday.

University dining hall managers yesterday suggested Yale weekend and the weather as possible reasons that Nestle consumption has not decreased.

"We use very little Nestle anyway. The Salada is much more popular," Robert C. Wood, manager of the Quad dining halls, said yesterday.

Some dining halls do not offer Nestle iced tea because Nestle's machines are broken or have been removed, Philip R. Bauer, food buyer for the University, said yesterday.

"We haven't been too happy with some of the machines, and the ones which are out of service haven't been replaced--it's got nothing to do with boycotts," he added.

Food Services does not support boycotts, Frank J. Weissbecker, director of Food Services, said yesterday, adding, "We conscientiously look at the marketplace and buy what students like. They like Salada so we buy Salada. They like Nestle so we buy Nestle."

However, if large numbers of students stop eating or drinking a product, "Obviously we're not going to put out food that's not going to be eaten," Benjamin H. Walcott, assistant director of food services, said this week, adding, "I guess that's the best way for students to express their opinion."

The last such boycott occurred ten years ago, Weissbecker said, adding, "It wasn't very exciting. As I recall, we switched products when possible."