City Hires New Rent Board Director

Maria Imparato Wins Controversial Post

By Michael F.P. Dorning

Acting Cambridge City Manager Robert Healy appointed Maria Imparato Executive Director of the Cambridge Rent Control Board yesterday despite the mailing of an "unfortunate" and premature rejection letter to the other finalists.

After the Rent Control Board decided several seeks ago to recommend Imparato for the appointment, Acheson Callaghan, chairman of the board sent a letter to the other finalist. Hal Lieberman, saying that he was no longer under consideration for the appointment, Healy said Sunday.

"It was unfortunate that a letter of rejection went out before the appointment was made." Healy said, adding Lieberman did not want to meet him for an interview after the rejection letter had been sent.

The city manager is "the sole appointing authority" of the city according to Massachusetts state law, Healy said.

Callaghan said he sent the letter to Lieberman as a matter of courtesy.

"We've always hired the Executive Director and the City Manager has always appointed him." Callaghan said.

"I'm just not involved in the matter anymore." Lieberman said, refusing further comment.

Imparato has been Acting Executive Director of the board since August 31 when Peter Stanton left the job. She had previously worked as assistant director of the board and as a hearing examiner.

Imparato said she and her staff have many plans for the board but would not claborate on them. She did say that the board will continue to enforce the city's removal permit ordinance, which requires landlords to obtain permission from the city in order to convert apartments to condominiums.

Imparato also said she would have a management expert do an analysis of the board's operations in January to see if the staff needs more resources and money.

The board appointed Imparato because the members of the board thought she was the most qualified candidate. Callaghan said, adding that Lieberman had told them the board should not hire a new chief executive unless the members were dissatisfied with the old director.

Lieberman is the executive director of Central Massachusetts Legal Services in Worcester County.