The Icemen Have Some Experience...

By Michael Bass

Over the last two years, Harvard hockey coach Bill Cleary has had to incorporate a total of 20 freshmen into his varsity program, with only a smattering of seniors toguide the newcomers. As Harvard opens the 1981-82 hockey season tonight at Dartmouth, the story is somewhat different.

Although there are only five seniors on the team, there are also only three freshmen. Along with the talent that brought many exciting hockey moments over the past two seasons, the Harvard hockey team will now have a little bit more to fall back on.

"The biggest improvement on the team will be the experience we've gained," says senior team captain Michael Watson. "In this league, set up as it is, you just don't win with freshmen and sophomores."

"We're looking for the experience to help us," Cleary adds. "It's a luxury we haven't had until now. I'm considerably more optimistic than the last few years because of experience. The juniors and seniors are going to make this team go."

Experience should be especially evidenced by the play of the Crimson defense, starting with senior goaltender Wade Lau, the most valuable player in last year's Beanpot win, and continuing out to the blueline, where the top two defensive pairs--Mark Fusco and Ken Code, and Alan Litchfield and Neil Sheehy--return this season.

"This year we don't have any real questions on defense," Lau says. "As the goalie, I have a good idea of how each guy likes to work, of how they life to break out. I know if the defenseman likes to take a guy out wide. We've got that experience now. It's always nice to see some familiar faces out there."

At the start of last season, there was a dearth of familiar faces guarding the blueline, but by the end of the winter, there were few problems. "Last year we only had one defenseman that we knew about for sure," Cleary says, referring to Fusco. "But I think at the end, our defense played as well as anyone's."

The defense peaked during a seven-game skein surrounding the Beanpot tournament, when Lau tended the net with authority, turning in the best hockey of his three-year career, and allowed just 14 goals in the 5-2 streak that put the Crimson in the thick of the ECAC playoff picture.

After a 5-5 tie at Yale in their next outing, however, the icemen lost Lau to a knee injury and went only 1-3 over the last four games of the season. A healthy Wade Lau is virtually a must if the Crimson is to make the playoffs this season--something it hasn't done since 1976. Fortunately, his knee has returned to normal.

Sophomore Mark Whiston, the back-up last season, and senior Steve Better, who led the J.V.'s to an undefeated season last year, will alternate in reserve, filling in when the hectic schedule demands that Lau be given a rest. Better will dress for tonight's game with Dartmouth.

Of the defensemen, Mark Fusco is the leading returnee. Noted for his skating ability and bullet-like slapshot--one of the hardest in the East--the junior received national distinction last year with an All-American mention. His goal production was down from freshman year, but his defensive play was far more consistent.

Although sitting the bench for a few games at the start, sophomore Code quickly established himself as a quality defenseman, and moved in alongside Fusco early in the year. His forte is a consistent, and occasionally spectacular ability to sweep the puck away from opposing forwards.

The other pairing, Litchfield and Sheehy, also gained consistency as the season wore on, as Sheehy adjusted to the position after playing at forward during his freshman year. Litchfield, also a surprise after playing J.V. and nursing a bad knee for much of his sophomore season, turned out to be the most consistent player on the team last year, turning in stalwart defensive efforts every time out. "Alan's just a tower of strength out there," Cleary says.

On the front lines, things are looking up as well. After going a whole season with just one line that could put the puck in the net (Watson, Greg Olson, and graduated captain Tommy Murray), Cleary finally thinks he's got some balance out on the ice, with three lines that should do a lot of scoring, and a fourth line for checking.

"We have to score more goals than we have in the past," Cleary says. "Last year we only had one line scoring for us. One of our big problems has always been putting the puck in the net." This has been especially true on the power play, which is one of the worst in the East. Cleary will start the season by juggling the first two lines around the Fusco slapshot in an attempt to get more production with a man advantage.

League

Watson (15-14-29 last year) and Olson (18-16-34) return with a new linemate this season, junior Greg Britz, who missed a good portion of last year with a knee injury. Watson, the center, is a tough play-maker and a goal-scorer when he gets the puck in front of the net, while the flashy Olson and Britz are wings who can really fly.

The second line shapes up with freshman Scotty Fusco (yes, he's Mark's brother) centering for classmate Greg Chalmers and sophomore Guy Martin. Cleary has been impressed by both of the freshmen; "they've got a nose for the net," the coach says, also praising their skating ability and the good hockey sense they've shown so far. "They are very heady players," Cleary adds.

Crimson

Sophomore Phil Falcone centers the third scoring line for the Crimson, with junior Jimmy Turner and sophomroe Shayne Kukulowicz on the wings. Falcone had a four-goal game against St. Lawrence last season before breaking an ankle. The fourth line will be centered by junior Bill Larson, with senior Scotty Powers on one wing, and junior Pete Evans, and sophomores Tony Visone and Jay North vying for the third spot.

Overall, Harvard looks to have strong goaltending, an improved, more consistent defensive unit, and a more balanced scoring attack. But they key down the line should be the experience.

"We lost some games last year because of lapses," Watson says, "where we all of a sudden gave up three or four goals. Hopefully we can eliminate that. I think we're a little more disciplined this year."