Women Swimmers Defeat Terriers As Calvert and Goldberg Lead Way

By John J. Nicholas

Swimming before more than 200 frenzied fans at Blodgett Pool yesterday, the women's swim team opened their season with a splash, beating Boston University, 78-71.

The Crimson, competing without the services of co-captains Pam Stone and Maureen Gildea, relied on their superior depth to beat the Terriers for the first time in the last five years. A jubilant coach Vicki Hays said, "We won because of our depth--the number and quality of our swimmers gave us flexibility, and a lot of people came up with unexpected wins." Hays added, "This is a good start to a great year."

The meet got off to a fast start in the 400-yd. medley relay--a race Harvard traditionally has had trouble with--when the Crimson steam of Kristen Isackson, Susam Kim, Debbie Zimic and Diane Smith broke the team record by almost nine seconds but still lost to the talented Terrier squad by several lengths.

The Army Comes Through

B.U. jumped out to an early lead, winning five out of the first six events, but Harvard managed to stay close, due to the gutsy performance of long-distance freestyler Shelby Calvert. The junior from the Marshal Islands--who recently transferred from West Point--swam back-to-back races, placing first in the 1000-yd. free (10:46) and second in the 200-yd. freestyle by a scant four seconds. Ironwoman Calvert later won the 500 free in 5:13 as Harvard dominated the long-distance events.

Another pleasant surprise was the performance of divers Adriana Holy and Jennifer Goldberg. Goldberg, a freshman from Pittsburgh, Penn., took first in the one-meter competition and second in the three-meter. Diving coach John Walker said the hard-working Goldberg "did a really good job." Holy, who left the team earlier this second but returned four weeks ago, won the three-meter contest in the "outstanding performance of the meet," according to Walker.

With just five events left in the meet, and with B.U. still leading by two points, the Crimson surged ahead for good by grabbing first and second in the 500 freestyle. Second-place finisher Carry Mazzone outreached a B.U. swimmer in a phot-finish that had the packed crowd up and roaring. After 13 events, Harvard led, 60-55, and eventually increased its lead to 14 with just one race to go.

Outstanding performances included sophomore Zimic's first-place finishes in the 100 butterfly and the 400 individual medley, and Yardling Kristen Isackson's first place in the 200 backstroke.