Callinan Heads Toward Rushing Mark

Football Notebook

Jim Callinan, who rushed for 120 yards and two touchdowns at Brown Saturday, is on the way to breaking the Harvard single-season rushing record of 950 yards, set by Dick Clasby in 1952. Callinan has run for 718 yards in seven games, and must average 78 against William and Mary, Penn and Yale to top Clasby. For his performance at Brown, Callinan was named to the ECAC Division I honor roll...Rocky Delgadillo needs three more interceptions to tie Phil O'Donnell's Harvard career mark of 15. If he does that, he'll also tie O'Donnell's single-season record of eight, set in 1947.

Joe Margolis' interception Saturday, the second by a Crimson defensive lineman this season (Scott Murrer had the other) made up for a near-miss in the first half. The completed theft was accomplished with the aid of Dan Kelley, who swatted Craig Hemond's fourth-quarter pass out of the air. Margolis dove and caught the ball inside the Bruin five yard line...Ron Cuccia may have had an oh-for-four passing day, but he was Harvard's leading receiver against Brown, catching two Donnie Allard passes for 21 yards off the already-legendary quarter back-in-motion play.

Pumped

Senior Steve Flach made his return to the gridiron in the fourth quarter, lofting one punt for 47 yards. Jim Villanueva, who has done double duty on punts and placements all year, was given a rest for the final two conversions, and sophomore Joe Abate saw his first varsity action. Abate missed his first Pat, but made the second.

***

Harvard's average of 218.6 yards rushing per game is second in the entire ECAC behind East Carolina. Yale is third at 211.3, Navy fourth and Holy Cross fifth. The Elis are number one in the ECAC in total offense, points per game and scoring defense. In fact, they have scored more points (203) in seven games than any other ECAC team has in eight...Princeton leads the conference in team passing with 244 yards per game, and Tiger quarterback Bob Holly, who set an Ivy record with 446 yards in the air during Saturday's win at Penn, was named the ECAC Offensive Player of the Week this week. The senior from Clifton, N.J., completed 25 of 41 passes for four touchdowns while breaking ex-Columbia and NFL quarterback Marty Domres' Ivy record.

***

The Crimson has never made the trip down to William and Mary, although the teams have met five times. Harvard has also never lost to the Indians, winning three times (1980, 1926, 1925) and tying twice (1942, 1930). All five games were played in Cambridge...In fact, until the Army game last year, the last time the gridders had played a non-Ivy game away from home was 1949, at Stanford. They lost that one, 44-0. In 1947, the Crimson last journeyed to the state of Virginia and lost, 47-0, to UVa.